Pics taken during Saturday’s Australia Day reception held at Empire Hotel. Some interesting excerpts from the High Commissioner’s speech:
- Australia-Brunei relations traces its origins to June 1945 when Australian forces landed at Muara Beach during World War II.
- The Australian High Commission was established in 1983 in anticipation of Brunei’s resumption of independence in 1984.
- At the end of financial year 2006-07, the total two-way merchandise trade was worth AUD1.1 billion.
- Crude oil remains Brunei’s major export to Australia.
- There are currently about 700 Bruneian students studying in Australia.