HIS Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam yesterday announced the reshuffle and new appointments within the Council of Cabinet Ministers, including Brunei’s first female deputy minister since the Sultanate introduced the Cabinet style system of government in 1984.
As the royal address was broadcast through state television and radio for the nation to hear, His Majesty announced that he will retain the posts of Prime Minister, Minister of Defence and Minister of Finance.
- Meanwhile, the Crown Prince, His Royal Highness Prince Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah will also remain Senior Minister at the Prime Minister’s Office.
- His Majesty’s brother, His Royal Highness Prince Mohamed Bolkiah also retains the position of Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
- Pehin Orang Kaya Seri Kerna Dato Seri Setia Hj Abu Bakar Hj Apong was moved from his post as Communications Minister to Minister of Education.
- Former Home Affairs Minister Pehin Orang Kaya Johan Pahlawan Dato Seri Setia Hj Adanan Begawan Pehin Siraja Khatib Dato Seri Setia Hj Mohd Yusof has been named as the new Minister of Health.
- On the other hand, the former Health Minister Pehin Orang Kaya Indera Pahlawan Dato Seri Setia Hj Suyoi Hj Osman has been appointed as the new Minister of Development.
- The former Development Minister, Pehin Orang Kaya Hamzah Pahlawan Dato Seri Setia Hj Abdullah Begawan Mudim Dato Paduka Hj Bakar, is now the Minister of Communications.
- Pehin Orang Kaya Seri Utama Dato Seri Setia Hj Yahya Begawan Mudim Dato Paduka Hj Bakar, Pehin Orang Kaya Laila Setia Dato Seri Setia Hj Abd Rahman Hj Ibrahim and Pehin Orang Kaya Pekerma Dewa Dato Seri Setia Lim Jock Seng will remain as Industry and Primary Resources Minister, Second Minister of Finance and Second Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade respectively.
His Majesty also announced the promotion of several deputy ministers.
- Pehin Datu Singamanteri Colonel (Rtd) Dato Seri Paduka Hj Mohammad Yasmin Hj Umar was promoted from being the Deputy Minister of Defence to Minister of Energy at the Prime Minister’s Office.
- Deputy Minister of Education Pg Dato Seri Setia Dr Hj Mohammad Pg Hj Abdul Rahman has assumed the post of Minister of Religious Affairs.
- The post of Minister of Home Affairs is now seated by Pehin Udana Khatib Dato Paduka Seri Setia Ustaz Hj Badaruddin Pengarah Dato Paduka Hj Othman, former deputy minister of Religious Affairs.
- Deputy Minister of Health Pehin Orang Kaya Pekerma Laila Diraja Dato Paduka Hj Hazair Hj Abdullah is now Minister of Culture, Youth and Sports.
- The new Deputy Minister at the Prime Minister’s Office is Dato Paduka Hj Abd Wahab Juned, who previously was the chairman of the Public Service Commission.
- Dato Paduka Hj Mustappa Hj Sirat has been promoted from his post as the First Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Defence to Deputy Minister of Defence.
- Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Finance Hj Bahrin Abdullah is now the Deputy Minister of Finance.
- The former Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Religious Affairs Dato Seri Setia Hj Yusoff Hj Ismail has become the Deputy Minister of Education.
- Meanwhile, the Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Finance Dato Paduka Hj Ali Apong has been appointed as Deputy Minister of Development.
- Former Deputy Permanent Secretary Pg Hj Bahrom Pg Hj Bahar now assumes the post of Deputy Minister of Development.
- Former Royal Brunei Armed Forces Commander and recently Brunei’s High Commissioner to Malaysia Pehin Datu Lailaraja Major General (Rtd) Dato Paduka Seri Hj Halbi Hj Md Yusof is now the Deputy Minister of Home Affairs.
- Datin Hjh Adina Othman, the former Director of Community Development Department, becomes the first woman deputy minister, assuming her new post at the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports.
His Majesty said that these appointments were effective as of yesterday and the officials would serve their new posts for a period of five years.
The monarch also announced that the posts of State Mufti and Attorney General, also as of yesterday, are now considered ministerial ranks.
Former Minister of Energy Pehin Orang Kaya Seri Dewa Major General (Rtd) Dato Seri Pahlawan Hj Mohammad Hj Daud, former Minister of Religious Affairs Pehin Jawatan Luar Pekerja Raja Dato Seri Utama Dr Ustaz Hj Mohd Zain Hj Serudin, former Minister of Education Pehin Orang Kaya Seri Lela Dato Seri Setia Hj Abdul Rahman Dato Setia Hj Mohamed Taib and former Minister of Culture, Youth and Sports Pehin Orang Kaya Setia Pahlawan Dato Seri Setia Dr Hj Ahmad Hj Jumat were not re-appointed. His Majesty thanked them for their service and contributions.
The Brunei Times